How to apply for a new passport for children/minors under 16 years of age
A minor under 16 years of age can apply for a separate passport / travel document with:
All passport applications accepted by the Mission are sent to Colombo for issue of machine readable passports. When the new passport is received from Colombo at this Mission, it will be duly forwarded to the applicant. IF: the application and supporting documents are in order, this complete process approximately takes three to six months. IF NOT, or if Sri Lanka I&E requires further details: the Mission will contact the applicant as required. In this case the process may take longer
To facilitate efficient processing of all applications, we kindly request you to cooperate with the Mission and submit all required details and documents at the time of application.
1.) Obtain an application form from the Sri Lankan Mission abroad
By Post: Please send a request letter with self-addressed stamped envelope to the Embassy in Berlin or the Consulate General in Frankfurt. Stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm (9 x 4 inches). Please state your name, address and phone number in the request letter.
Internet: Application forms and instructions in Sinhala, Tamil and English are available in the Download Section of this web site.
2.) Instructions of filling the application forms
(a) Form K, duly completed according to following:
- Applicant’s signature at two(2) cages provided on Page 2. Please note that your writing should not touch the borders of the
- Present postal address and telephone number in Germany at cage 5 on Page 1
- Declaration of the applicant signed on Page 2
- If application is not personally submitted at the Mission, applicant’s photograph and signature should be officially attested by
one of the following: Ausländeramt, Honorary Consulate or Notar.
(b) Photos and signature section of application
- Please read the instructions given on the form.
- Photo size for main applicant is 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm without the white border
- One of the photographs should be pasted on Page 1. And 2 photos should be pasted on Page 2
- Photographs should be 'direct face' and both ears must be visible
- Please do not write or mark anything on the photographs
- Photographs should have been taken within the last three (3) months. Photographs taken more than three months ago will not
3.) Supporting documents required for new passport application of child (original document + one photocopy of each document. Copy should show the full page from top to bottom)
I.) Consent letter of parents: a letter signed by both parents giving consent to issue a separate passport to the child. If parents are divorced or separated an original copy of the court decision/guardianship with two photocopies are required. (Note: If one of the parents is deceased, certified copy of the Death Certificate should be enclosed with the application)
II.) Passport currently held by the applicant: own passport if available OR the parents' passport in which the name/s of child/children have been currently endorsed
III.) Original passports from both parents PLUS their certified photocopies (Data pages, children endorsement pages and valid visa endorsement pages.)
IV.) Parents' Marriage Certificate
V.) To prove the Sri Lankan citizenship of the child, one of the following combinations of documents are required:
- Birth Certificate issued in Sri Lanka by Registrar General, PLUS the Citizenship Certificate issued by Sri Lanka Mission under Section 5 (2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948
- Birth Certificate issued by a Sri Lanka Mission abroad, PLUS the Citizenship Certificate issued by Sri Lanka Mission abroad under Section 5 (2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948
- Germany's Birth Certificate issued by Germany authority, PLUS the Citizenship Certificate issued by Sri Lanka Mission abroad under Section 5 (2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948
- Germany's Birth Certificate issued by German authority, PLUS the Payment Receipt issued by Sri Lanka Mission for an application for the Citizenship Certificate
VI.) Sri Lanka National Identity Card (NIC) of the child. If NIC is not available, letter explaining reason for that
VII.) Letter of renunciation of citizenship if applicable. A person who was born out side Sri Lanka should renounce his/her citizenship of the country of birth at the age specified in the 3rd paragraph of his/her Citizenship Certificate. If the applicant has reached this age, letter of renunciation of citizenship should be sent.
VIII.) Self-addressed stamped envelope (SAE) with stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm or 9 x 4 inches. If applicant needs an acknowledgement of the application, another SAE affixed to the value of € 0.70.
IX.) Payment of fees
(X.) Original Birth Certificates of both parents. Photocopy of each with full page visible.
Note: If the applicant does not possess a Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate:
A certified copy of the original Birth- or Marriage Certificate can be obtained from the Central Record Room, Department of Registrar General, Maligawatta, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka. More information athttp://www.rgdept.lk/
4.) Lodging and handing over application
Applicant (the child) and both parents must personally visit the Mission and hand over the application along with the supporting documents. If the Sri Lankan citizenship of child can be proven (above Section 3 - Subtext V), prior appointments are not needed. Otherwise please contact the Mission for instructions.For details including maps and route plan please the menu on our website: Contact Us.
5.) Payment of application fees & bank details
Bank details: >>>>